Having recovered from our recent city break in Helsinki to watch the Huuhkajat, the FFS team get together (virtually, again) to discuss today’s draw from the 2022/23 Nations League competition.
We also break down the, recently announced, changes to the Suomen Cup for 2022. As well as welcoming back the prodigal Cup, as the closed-season Liigacup makes a welcome return. We look at recent news and look forward to our Facebook Live show on Monday 20th December.
Download an MP3 of Nations League 2022/23 Draw – Suomen Cup 2022 – Liigacup Returns
Join Mark (@explorefinland), Mark (@FCSuomi), Keke (@kekemyllari) and Rich (@EscapeToSuomi) for regular episodes, where 4 old blokes sit and talk about football in Finland. In English.
The show is now recorded on Zoom & published on PodBean. Follow the Finnish Football Show on PodBean for announcements of future episodes and to join any future live shows.
The #FFS theme tune is “Loppuun asti” by Lemmenpyssyt. You can listen to the song on Spotify or on YouTube . Connect with Lemmenpyssyt on Facebook.
SHOW NOTES & LINKS
Nations League Draw – League B
Suomen Cup 2022
Suomi Futis article: Miesten Suomen Cup uudistuu – tätä kaikkea on odotettavissa ensi vuonna!
- The first four rounds are regional and the clubs from the third division down for the first two rounds. The home team is always the lower ranked team.
- For the third round, six teams from Veikkausliiga, all Ykkönen’s clubs and Kakkonen will join the draw.
- A total of 128 clubs will take part in the third round. Clubs playing in the lower league level will continue as home teams.
- In the fourth round, two new Veikkausliiga teams will join the competition. The home benefit rule remains the same as in previous rounds.
- The fifth round will bring the teams that reached the European places in Veikkausliiga last season.
- After the sixth round, we will proceed with the quarter-finals on June 29. The semi-finals are scheduled for August 31 and the Finnish Cup 2022 will culminate in the final at the Helsinki Olympic Stadium on September 17.
- The reigning champion of the Finnish Cup is KuPS Kuopio.
Support the FFS cause
FFS STORE ON TEEPUBLIC
DONATE TO THE RUNNING OF THE SHOW
- Also, you can make a donation via the website Support the Cause
Ja sillä sipuli
- Pausa – Literally ‘stop’
- When a side plays keep ball to slow down a game.
Liigacup Returns in 2022
- 12 Veikkausliiga teams in three groups of four teams.
- All play each other once.
- Top two from each group, plus the two best third place teams qualify for quarter-finals
- So, 8 teams of 12 qualify from the groups
- Ykköscupi reinstated for 2022 https://www.palloliitto.fi/jalkapallouutiset/ykkoscupin-lohkojako-julki-pepo-hakee-lisenssia-miesten-ykkoseen
- RoPS Rovaniemi pull out of Ykkönen, due to high running costs, having failed to win the promotion play-off https://www.rops.fi/miehet/edustusjoukkue/uutiset/item/8561-rovaniemen-palloseura-luopuu-sarjapaikastaan-miesten-ykkoesessae
- Urho Nissilä rumoured to be moving to South Korea.
- Hannu Patronen retires from Helsinki IFK https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hannu_Patronen
- Veikkausliiga transfer article (updated regularly) http://www.veikkausliiga.com/uutiset/2021/11/20/veikkausliigan-pelaajasiirrot-2021-22
- Finnish Football Show @TAG on Facebook
- Follow the page or join the group
- Find the Facebook Event on 20.12.2021 https://fb.me/e/1w92EVyoQ
Follow our Facebook page for content coming directly from the FFS team; podcasts, blogs etc. There you will also find the link to our Facebook Group, where you can join or, better still, instigate a conversation!
- Facebook Page
- Facebook Group
- FFS Instagram Page
- FFS YouTube Channel – where you’ll see the video from this and previous episodes
You could also follow one (or all) of us on Twitter:
- Mark W @explorefinland
- Mark H @FCSuomi
- Keke @kekemyllari
- Rich @EscapeToSuomi