We look back at the recent Euro 2020 qualifiers (and forward to the upcoming games), we try to explain what happens now that the 2019 Veikkausliiga has split into two ‘series’ and we discuss a few Finnish players, who are figuratively (not literally) on fire!
Add-in some short news stories and our regular features and it’s another reassuringly average, Finnish Football Show.
Show Notes & Links
From episode 24, the show is recorded & broadcast live on PodBean. Follow the Finnish Football Show on PodBean for announcements of future broadcasts and to join the live show.
- Resurrected JJK beat FC Blackbird in local derby to go top of Keski Suomen Kolmonen and eye promotion to Kakkonen
- Jari Litmanen’s comments about Qatar, followed by…
- Mark H’s estimate at the size of Qatar 😳😂
- Mid-season contractual changes at SJK; Mostagh Yaghoubi out, Nadson and Mehmet Hetemaj sign for another year
Euro 2020 Qualifiers
- 5.9. SUOMI 1 – 0 GREECE
- 8.9. SUOMI 1 – 2 ITALIA
- It’s fair to say the FFS team had split opinions about this game. And those opinions were punctuated by a technical fault – see of you can spot the join!
Upcoming fixtures, both Euro 2020 qualifiers:
- 12.10 BOSNIA-HERTSEGOVINA – SUOMI Zenica
- 15.10 SUOMI – ARMENIA Veritas Stadion, Turku
- 15.11 SUOMI – LIECHTENSTEIN Telia 5G Areena, Helsinki
- 18.11 KREIKKA – SUOMI Olympiastadion, Ateena
“Ja sillä sipuli”
Finnish footy phrases / terminology.
- Lehmänhenkkäys – literally Cow’s Breath, the sweet tang of a footballers breath after 90 minutes of action.
Veikkausliiga splits after 22 games in Champions series and Challenger series
- KuPS have a good four point lead with 2 games remaining, in pole position for the Championship & the Champions League place. Although they play Honka and Inter in their final two games.
- Inter, Honka and Ilves are within two points of each other, just behind KuPS – so there is everything still to play for!places
- Ilves faded in the second half of the season. But won the Suomen Cup and are already in Europe
- HJK remained ‘average’ for the whole season and will finish in fifth place.
- Mariehamn will finish sixth.
- HJK & Mariehamn will fight of the Europa League play-offs.
- Top 2 of the Challenger series go into a play-off for Europa League qualification.
- Lahti and HIFK look most likely but SJK still have a slim chance of breaking into the top two!!
- SJK ‘Lucky not be going down.’ – Mark H – and he probably has a good point
- RoPS look like finishing safe but nowhere.
- Most likely VPS will finish bottom and KPV will finish second bottom, and so face the relegation play-off with TPS Turku (from th eYkkönen division below.
Top Scorers – table on Veikkausliiga.com
- Filip Valencic – FC Inter: 25 games 15 goals
- Lauri Ala-Myllymäki – Ilves: 24 games 12 goals
- Martin Borjas – FC Honka: 24 games 11 goals
- Timo Furuholm – FC Inter: 23 games 10 goals
- Joint fifth
- Lucas Rangel – KuPS: 14 games 8 goals
- Denys Oliinyk – SJK: 24 games 8 goals
- Luis Henrique – HIFK: 12 games 8 goals
Teemu Pukki is still on fire.
- In addition to the two goals for the National team
- 7 EPL games, 6 goals, 2 assists
Marcus Forss for AFC Wimbledon
- 4 League One games, 212 mins played, 3 goals, 1 yellow, 1 red
Lasse Lappalainen looking red-hot in MLS
- 10 games, 5 goals
Our monthly nomination of someone we know/like on twitter…
- Finsvenskan @Finsvenskan
- ‘Everything related to Finnish or Swedish football.’
- Mark H – “Finsvenskan is informative, funny and often re-tweeted by others.”
Remember, you welcome to join us for the recording of the podcast which is streamed live on PodBean. You could join in by asking a question in person, or just come on and say hi. Thanks again for everyone that joined us for the live recording of #FFS24.
Follow one (or all) of us on Twitter for advanced warning of the next Show.