In episode 22, we look at Finnish players overseas, some reaching for the stars and some heading in the other direction. We allow Keke to bask in the glory of his Suomen Cup quarter final predictions and look ahead to the semi-finals on 16.5.2019. We then review the first 6-8 rounds of the Veikkausliiga season 2019.
Add-in some news stories about protests, the new, regular features and Mark W’s tantalising tease for FFS23, and it all adds up to another high-standard Finnish Football Show.
Show Notes & Video
This show is now recorded & broadcast live on YouTube. Follow Mark Wiltshear’s Channel for announcements of future broadcasts.
- HIFK fans, the Stadin Kingit, staged a boycott of the first part of their Veikkausliiga game vs Honka, in protest against plans for the majority shareholding to be sold to a foreign consortium.
- Mark W
- FF Jaro vs Tammisaari EIF game, referee Mohammed Al-Emara stopped the game for 5 mins due to a racist commented shouted from the crowd https://www.hs.fi/urheilu/art-2000006086944.html
- Mark H
- Former Finnish National team player, Jonatan Johanssen, quits as Manager of Greenock Morton in the Scottish First Division, due to interference in team selection from his Chairman
- Teemu Pukki. EFL Championship winner and Golden Boot winner. He was also named EFL Championship Player of the Season and was included in the 2018–19 Championship Team of the Season and collected the Norwich City F.C. Player of the Season as voted by the club’s supporters. #Voittaja
Finnish players overseas
We discussed the light and the shade.
- Glen Kamara: making an impression at Glasgow Rangers having moved from Dundee
- Jere Uronen: about to lift the title in Belgium with Genk
- Jesse Joronen: lifting the title in Denmark with FC Copenhagen
- Kasper Hämäläinen winning HIS sixth consecutive title in Poland with Legia Warsaw
- Robin Lod: struggling to get playing time at Sporting Gijon in Liga Segunda
- Pyry Soiri: also not getting a game for FC Admira Wacker Mödling in Austria
- Perpa Hetemaj: getting relegated with Chievo in Italy
- The return of Roman Eremenko after his 18 month ban for testing positive to cocaine use. He has played 8 games and scored 3 goals with a couple of assists
“Ja sillä sipuli”
Finnish footy phrases / terminology.
- Maalikunkku. Literally Goal King. In honour of that mana again, Teemu Pukki.
- Bragging rights for Keke, who predicted 3 out of the 4 semi-finalists, which isn’t bad.
- IFK Mariehamn, Ilves & KPV all went through but the Inter Turku / VPS game went against his prediction.
Review the start of Veikkausliiga 2019
- Ilves defence – 6 games, 5 clean sheets 🙌
- ‘Bang average’ HJK
- SJK’s optimistic start
- Top Scorers
- 1. Borjas, Martin FC Honka 6 games 5 goals
- 2. Valencic, Filip FC Inter 7 games 5 goals
- 3. Mboma, Aristote IFK Mariehamn 5 games 4 goals
Our monthly nomination of someone we know/like on twitter…
- Ilkeä Teemu Pukki @IlkeaPukki
- Keke – “He’s just funny. Tweets mostly in Finnish, but the tweets are short. Armed with Google Translate, you should be fine”
Remember, you welcome to join us for the recording of the podcast which is streamed live on YouTube. You could join in by asking a question in person, or just come on and say hi. Thanks again for everyone that joined us for the live recording of #FFS22.
Follow one (or all) of us on Twitter for advanced warning of the next Show.